(10th century - 11th century - 12th century - other centuries)
Inventions, Discoveries, Introductions
Decades and Years
- 1000 (cca), Vikings, led by Leif Erikson, establish small settlements at and around Vinland in North America
- 1054, the Great Schism, in which the Western (Roman Catholic) and Eastern Orthodox churches separated from each other. After a number of earlier such schisms, the breach was later repaired, but this one continues nearly 1000 years later.
- 1066, Norman conquest of England
- 1094, El Cid, the great Spanish hero, conquers the Moorish city of Valencia
- 1099, First Crusade captures Jerusalem
- King Anawrahta of Myanmar made a pilgrimage to Ceylon, returning to convert his country to Theravada Buddhism.